As the saying goes, there’s just so much to be grateful for! But how often do we take the time to reflect on these things? Spending even just a few moments acknowledging the ways that you have been blessed can transform your mood and outlook on life.
I like to create lists of the things that I am grateful for. Kind of like reminders that keep me in the right place. It helps to see it written down. Try it for yourself!
Erin’s Steps to Create a Gratitude List:
- Find a quiet space.
- Make sure you are comfortable in your body. Maybe you prefer to be seated upright at a table or lounging on the sofa.
- Before picking up your pen, just sit and think about the ways that your life is going well – Everything that is working for you.
- Next, identify (what) is helping you to do well in that area. Don’t worry if it takes you some time. This is a meaningful activity and meant to make you think.
- List the first thing that you are grateful for.
- Explain the reason why. This helps you to process what you just listed.
- Take a moment to read it back and reflect.
- List as many things as you can.
- If you choose to, place the list somewhere that you can reflect on it again. This could be a drawer, your car, or your desk. Running into this list unexpectedly could help you again on a tough day.
Here are a few things I am grateful for:
Last night I prepared a delicious dinner. I was proud of myself. I enjoyed my meal and there was food left over. I will not have to worry about what to eat tomorrow – that’s a double blessing!
I remember when I had difficulty identifying loving relationships in my life, back when struggled to find love and fulfillment within myself. I now realize there is love all around me. For this I am grateful.
A good friend of mine used to say: “Earn your peace – find your peace.” I am grateful to now understand what that means. I’m aware of the environments I need to be in to recharge. I know what puts me at ease. I have found peace in my spirit. I am made whole in God. I have peace.